Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Elite Financial Minds
TrendPulse|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:43:30
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have TrendPulseagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- US stocks drop, oil climbs over Iran strike amid escalating Mideast tensions
- Carvana stock price is up 228%, but a red flag just emerged
- Looking for Taylor Swift's famous red lipstick? Her makeup artist confirms the brand
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Why Jason Kelce Is Jokingly Calling Out Taylor Swift Fans
- Arizona man admitted to decapitating his mother before her surprise party, police say
- A house cheaper than a car? Tiny home for less than $20,000 available on Amazon
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Jonathan Majors’ ‘Magazine Dreams’ lands theatrical release for early 2025
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Harris, Trump’s approach to Mideast crisis, hurricane to test public mood in final weeks of campaign
- Lauryn Hill sued by Fugees' Pras Michel for fraud and breach of contract after tour cancellation
- Early reaction to Utah Hockey Club is strong as it enters crowded Salt Lake market
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- How Climate Change Intensified Helene and the Appalachian Floods
- Frolic Into Fall With Lands' End's Huge Sitewide Sale: $7 Tees, $8 Bras, $10 Pants & More — Up to 87% Off
- Harris and Biden are fanning out across the Southeast as devastation from Helene grows
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Crumbl Fans Outraged After Being Duped Into Buying Cookies That Were Secretly Imported
A house cheaper than a car? Tiny home for less than $20,000 available on Amazon
Queen Elizabeth II Battled Bone Cancer, Former Prime Minister Boris Johnson Says
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
How Earth's Temporary 2nd Moon Will Impact Zodiac Signs
Firefighters battle blaze at Wisconsin railroad tie recycling facility
Video of fatal shooting of Kentucky judge by accused county sheriff shown in court